Tuesday, January 11, 2005

"Folker", Track 4 "Lookin' Up in Heaven"


This song has gotten me every time I have listened to it.

I went lookin' up in heaven but you wasn't anywhere in sight/they asked me stick around but without you it just wasn't right

Maybe I'm being overly sentimental or crazy, but I about weep every time Paul Westerberg sings these lines.

And, reminiscent of "Summerteeth" by Wilco, the song where the protagonist's shoes get cold while his black shirt cries, in this recent Paul Westerberg masterpiece we have this line:

Sunday evening I get the blues/someone's sleeping in her (their?) tennis shoes

What the hell is it about shoes that is so damn sad?

I'm a maudlin bastard.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

westerberg has now and has always
had a way with triple meaning lyrics. or 3 dimensional, even.